Saturday, July 4, 2009

Stories Behind the Pictures

I felt like a change of scenery was in order, so I posted a new blog header. Here are the stories behind the pictures that I picked to represent me and my blog:

1) ParanĂ¡ Basin, Brazil: On this rainy and chilly day while doing field work in Brazil for a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program, we got a bit silly and started taking goofy pictures. In this one, I must have been hungry because I am considering taking a big bite out of a chunk of diamict/till (glacial sediments).







2) Morris, Minnesota: Due to some miscommunications at work, someone ended up ordering 12 dozen roses (they were only supposed to get 1 dozen). Lucky for us random employees, we got to take some roses home with us free of charge! Whenever I get flowers, I end up taking a ton of photos. There's just something about close-ups of flowers. I love them. This particular photo is one of my favorites from the photo shoot.






3) Ponta Grossa, Brazil: On one of our days off during the REU trip to Brazil, we toured Vila Velha State Park. In this park, there are many sandstone formations that have been shaped over time by eruptions, glaciation, and wind erosion. The most famous of these formations, and also the symbol of the park, is the Goblet, which me and my UMM REU buddies are standing in front of.






4) Morris, Minnesota: I got bored one day, though to be honest, I was probably procrastinating from one of the many papers, projects, or my Senior Seminar, which made up the second semester of my senior year at UMM. So, I lit some candles and took a lot of pictures.








5) North of Grand Marais, Minnesota: Sophomore year, about a few weeks after I had started dating the fellow in this picture, our Mineralogy class went on a field trip to the North Shore to check out the rocks and learn about the geologic history of this region. We camped at the Trails End Campground near the end of the Gunflint Trail. Megan (who would be one of my UMM REU buddies the following summer) snuck this picture of Erik and me enjoying the view from our campground.





Edit (5/22/2011): Here is the whole banner, just in case I decide to change the scenery again.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!!!

    Oh, TAG!!!! Stop on by for your royal award.

    ReplyDelete