Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Need to Get Out of Nevada!

I love the sunlight. I love the warmth. But oh dear god, I need to get out of this state!!! Lately, school has been stressing me out big time. I have a lot of responsibilities, which I agreed to take on, but it's turning out to be a lot of stuff. I don't like to be a bitter and down person, but I need to vent. So here goes:


  • People here do not know how to drive! I've complained about this many times, but it never ceases to tick me off. Today Erik and I decided to avoid an exit that is always backed up at a certain time of day. Instead, we end up at a light that says "No turn on red," so logically we stopped to wait for the green light in order to make our right turn. Three, that's right three! cars pulled around us on the shoulder of the road to turn right through the red!! Ugh... so much for taking the less frustrating route home!
  • I suspect NV Energy is trying to steal our money. Two months ago we got an electricity bill that was $50 more than the highest bill we'd ever had. We were shocked by it, but figured that it was possible that we used the air conditioning a bit too much that month. So, we took efforts to cut back the following month, and the next bill was back to the normal range. We have not changed those habits. Today I opened our bill to find out that it had skyrocketed again! There's no way we used that much electricity (we even had days without air conditioning because it was cooler outside!).
  • Nevada is brown. And dry.
  • Nevada/Las Vegas makes a bunch of the "This is the worst place to live/Places with the worst water/Most dangerous neighborhoods/Dumbest people" lists. At the same time I see the other sides of those lists with Minnesota near the top for "Best places to live/Cleanest tap water/Smartest people" lists...
  • My best friends aren't here. Erik's best friends aren't here.
  • There are giant cockroaches. Enough said on that topic.
  • I get more headaches here because it's arid and I suck at drinking water.
  • Our neighbors have sketchy friends who like to publicly urinate on the tree outside. I am thankful that I realized what was going on, and looked away in time to avoid that image.
  • We only get one channel that works all the time here, and it's FOX. Enough said.
  • I'm sick of hearing/seeing Sharron Angle and Harry Reid advertisements. Harry Reid, your state is screwed and I don't really think you can fix it. Sharron Angle, you are an extreme moron and should be nowhere near public office.
Oiy... if you made your way through that mess, I apologize for the bitterness and the giant unloading. I'm hoping that things will start shaping up soon, and my outlook on stuff will improve along with it.

Photo: http://www.knowledgerush.com/kr/encyclopedia/Nevada_Test_Site/

1 comment:

  1. Oh, honey, that sounds just awful. (But I have to admit I giggled my way through your post because, well, you're so darn witty when you're all riled up that way.) Still, sure sounds like things are rough right now. It's good you vented. You just have to do that sometimes!

    Did I ever tell you how after moving to Minnesota, every time I had to leave the state for business I would notice how incredibly different the rest of the world felt? Then when I'd get home, I'd swear I felt like I'd returned to Nirvana LOL!

    I know it seems like light years away right now, especially with all you've taken on, but you're a ROCK star, Julie, in every sense of the phrase. And you are going to get through this rough patch like the champ you are. And then you're going to have great stories to tell about your years in H-E-double hockey sticks Vegas.

    Ever heard of Anne Lamott? She's a wonderful writer with a sizzling sense of humor. My favorite of her books is called "Travel Mercies" and I go back to her essays time and time again when things are hard. I think I've got an extra copy I can send you. She makes me laugh with her super frank observations about life, and by the time I get to the end of an essay, I feel this little glimmer of hope that always carries me through.

    She also wrote a book called "Bird by Bird" about writing. The phrase comes from a memory she had of her little brother having to finish up this big report on birds. He was feeling utterly overwhelmed with all the work he had to do. And his father sat down with him at the table and said: "Just take it bird by bird, buddy, just bird by bird." I often remind myself of that phrase when tasks feel like a mountain I have to move and all I have in my hand is a shovel.

    So here's to you, Julie Blue Eyes with the brilliant mind and big beautiful heart and spirit: "Bird by bird, dear one, bird by bird."

    Love you to pieces!

    ReplyDelete