Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

I think I got more excited for Valentine's Day when I was a little kid. You'd get to to go the store and pick out a box of little Valentine cards for all of your friends at school (favorites of mine included Powerpuff Girls, Star Wars, and Kittens), and of course some candy too (Sweethearts, anyone?). At school, you'd get to decorate a brown lunch bag which would become your desk's mailbox for candy and cards from your classmates. And no one was left out, because the rule was if you were going to bring Valentine cards or candy to school, you had to have enough for the whole class. It was always one of the best days of school, ever. I mean, who doesn't like less time for class and more time for candy and fun?

Now you just see a ton of commercials telling you to spend $60+ on long-stemmed roses (when you could just wait until summer and get 20 beautiful roses for $10 at the Farmer's Market), ridiculous jewelry that's supposed to look like it's hugging something, or having to pay an arm and a leg to go see the new romantic comedy at the movie theater. Oiy... I liked when things were simpler and only about $5 total cost for the day.

Well, given that my boyfriend and I like simple things, we're going to have a pretty laid-back day, which I am looking forward to very much.

Tentative Schedule:
  • Heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast. Although, they turned out nothing like those in the photo. Mine were free-handed and ended up looking like asymmetrical blobs.
  • A walk to the park (hopefully there are doggies in the dog park for us to watch!).
  • Prepare the slow cooker for a tasty pork chop dinner.
  • Go feed and play with Milo (a very poofy orange kitty).
  • Pick up delicious cupcakes at the Cupcakery. (This is our one splurge for the day)
  • Have delicious dinner, wine, and cupcakes!
Photo: http://www.more4kids.info/613/valentine-treats-for-kids/

4 comments:

  1. Happy Valentine's! What a lovely day you planned! Hope it was delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about heart-shaped Reese's peanut butter cups? Fun day with your favorite things! And NO class today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, we ate all of the Reese's before Valentine's Day actually came around. Did you guys order a heart-shaped pizza from Randy's Pizza?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering 'cause the egg-shaped ones are already out! Had left-overs but the thought did enter my mind.

    ReplyDelete