Thursday, August 13, 2009

An Old Bookmark

While I was unpacking the other day, a folded-up piece of paper fell out of a book. I usually just use random scraps of paper as bookmarks. Those cute and/or fancy bookmarks that you can buy at the store are nice, but I'm always afraid that I'll lose them or that they'll get damaged. For this reason, I generally just use scratch paper.

On the outside of this piece of paper was this quote, which I must have found important while I was reading the book from which it came.

"Sometimes at our most discouraged, we can also forget that the past is a resource, not a destiny."
~Jill Fredston, from her book "Snowstruck"

I enjoyed re-reading the quote, and then tossed the bookmark into a pile to be dealt with later. As I was tidying up a few moments ago, I unfolded the piece of paper to see what, if anything, was written inside. There is a doodle of a daisy and directions to my boyfriend's house. The funny thing is, I have the route memorized now but I still don't know the street names for a lot of the turns. And a few of the roads, according to these directions, have an actual name and then a county road name. Three of the roads have the same county road name, which doesn't make sense to me. Maybe that's why Kyla and I almost got lost the first time we drove there!

No comments:

Post a Comment